Pages

November 13, 2010

A New Chapter In My Beautiful Life

Hello Readers =]

So in case you haven't noticed from the title of my blog... I am SO SO SO SO happy hehe.
I have been waiting for ages to blog about it... So here I go...

I'M ENGAGED!!!!!

Yeap, I'm engaged to my boyfriend of nearly 3 years. Two weeks ago (the last time Ben was here) I had to go on some tours to the Peninsula for the day. While I was away Ben went and brought the ring, and when I got back I was freezing. So what did I do? I put my hands into his pockets and felt the box!!! I was so surprised that he had it. We had spoken of marriage before and to be honest, he had asked me on my 18th birthday if I would marry him (it was his form of a birthday present). I only told a few friends but it wasn't official because we obviously didn't have a ring.

Anyway back to the story!!! I just pretended I hadn't felt it... Even though Ben clearly knew I had. He then took me out for dinner and all I could think was "Please don't ask me here or else everyone will see me cry". Of course because I'm naturally a shy girl, being asked to marry someone in public isn't my kinda thing (although I wouldn't be 100% against it). We then made our way home, it had been a big day for me and all I really felt like doing was curling up in bed with a hot cuppa. We got home and then Ben took the box out of his pocket. It was wrapped in shiney wrapping paper with a ribbon bow on top. I unwrapped it, being careful not to rip the paper and just took my time. Once the box was out I gave it to Ben and asked him to open it. He opened the box and all I could do was smile and feel my eyes begin to water. He then said a giant speech in a very quiet, calm and steady voice. Every word he said just made my legs turn to jelly, my smile get bigger and of course release the flood gates.

White Gold and Diamond =]



So its clear what happened next... I said yes, I cried, we hugged, we kissed and I became the HAPPIEST girl ever!

This weekend after alot of thought on how and when to tell the family... we finally did it. I wasn't with Ben when he told his dad but I don't think it was a bad reaction. We saw his mum yesterday and as soon as I saw her I felt like hiding under a rock. The nervousness had finally kicked in and I didn't want one bar of it. We went out for coffee and then Ben dropped the bomb. Beforehand she was freaking out that I was pregnant, but once we told her, she just smiled and was extremely happy for us!!! I don't think I will ever forget her reaction. Tonight however, I told my parents... There reaction wasn't as good as Paula's (Ben's mum), but they were happy for us. Their only advise... Don't rush into the wedding. Oh and my dad "I expect Ben to ask for my permission when you come home, but I'm happy for you, but I expect him to ask". I just laughed which made him laugh too.

This all reassured me in some way. I feel so blessed to have a family that now understands I'm not a little girl anymore, and they trust my decisions. And to feel a great sense of welcoming into Ben's family and as though my future (our future) is nothing but bright. To have our families support really has made me so much happier. And I can't wait for the planning and stress of a wedding hehe.

xoxoxox

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to you both. I was apprehensive at first but I can see you two are committed and you are both very happy so I'm all for happiness. Welcome to the whanau Shenelle. With love xxx

    ReplyDelete